Hot cocoa is such a wonderful treat during cold weather! Here are a few ways to tweak this sweet treat to make it just a little more healthy-try it with raw cacao, medicinal mushrooms and a natural sweetener.
Raw cacao has many health benefits when compared to regular chocolate or cocoa powder. Normal cocoa powder is chemically processed and cooked, destroying many of the antioxidants and nutrients. Also, make sure that you are using organic cacao as it’s often heavily treated with pesticides and fumigation chemicals. Opt for fair trade and organic raw cacao whenever possible.
Cacao is especially rich in:
- antioxidants, which absorb free radicals and help protect from cancer and heart disease
- calcium-higher in calcium than cow’s milk
- serotonin & tryptophan-neurotransmitters that increase our sense of well being and fight depression and anxiety
Tonic mushrooms are the real secret to this Tonic Hot Chocolate! There are all kinds of medicinal mushrooms you can add to this, either solo or in combination. My two favorites are cordyceps and reishi. These beneficial mushrooms have been known to fight aging, help prevent cancer, enhance the immune system, combat fatigue and prevent anxiety. Add a little of these every day to your tea, smoothie or hot chocolate in the morning and get ready to reap some amazing benefits.
Tonic Hot Chocolate
Prep Time 10 minutes
Servings 2 servings
- 2 cups nut milk
- 2 tablespoons coconut sugar
- 3 tablespoons raw cacao powder or cocoa powder
- 2 teaspoons cordyceps/reishi powder
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- pinch salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- water as needed
- vegan marshmallows for serving
Place the nut milk, coconut sugar, cacao powder, cordyceps/reishi powder, vanilla. salt, and cinnamon in a blender. Blend until smooth. Put the mixture into a medium sauce pan and heat over low heat, stirring frequently. Serve immediately with vegan marshmallows if desired.