Avocados are everything you have ever loved about food. Seriously. I can’t imagine life without avocados. Eat them daily and use them in almost everything-smoothies, desserts, salads, sauces, dressings, and entrees. Avocado’s creamy texture and mild buttery flavor are perfect for all kinds of recipes. But they really shine in desserts!
Chocolate and avocados are a natural match. Avocados provide the fatty base for the rich bitter flavor of the cacao (the raw name for chocolate powder).
You can use your super ripe avocados that are on the verge of being too soft. It won’t make a difference to the flavor of the finished dessert.
Chocolate has a unique nutrition profile:
- Chocolate is loaded with minerals like iron, manganese, copper and magnesium.
- Raw cacao beans are higher in anti-oxidants than almost any other food tested. Also, cacao helps protect from disease causing free radicals.
- Cacao’s antioxidants may help prevent heart disease by reducing oxidized LDL, and increasing HDL.
Easy raw vegan avocado mousse cups are a wonderful rich dessert that you can make in less than 5 minutes!
- 1½ ripe avocados
- ¼ cup coconut oil, melted
- 6 dates
- ¼ teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ cup raw cacao powder
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt (like Celtic sea salt)(optional)
Cream avocados in a food processor with liquid coconut oil, dates, vanilla and salt. Slowly add the cacao powder with the food processor running until the powder is completely incorporated.
The ganache should have the consistency of chocolate pudding at this point. Pour into whatever containers you are using (little decorative portion cups as pictured above work nicely) and refrigerate for at least one hour to set.
One note about the coconut oil-it must be in liquid form for this recipe. If your coconut oil is solid and white simply set the jar in a bath of warm water until enough of it melts into a liquid.